The purpose of this blog is to:
- Offer suggestions on how to write a book
- Provide insight into how to do book marketing
- Share learnings and ideas about to how to start a blog and do it well
- Share my writing and stories about my writing
Below is my short bio to give you insight into my background and why I think I can help you with writing, book marketing, blogging and related things. I also hope that this blog can be a collaborative community. And as I hope you have figured out by now, I’m “Allen Tiffany” not “Tiffany Allen” (which people often think until they meet me in person 😉 ).
My background as a writer, reviewer, columnist and editor
- Have published a novella, Youth In Asia, in March of 2015. You can find it on Amazon by clicking on this link. In addition to the reviews on Amazon, there is another review at Goodreads. The novel is also featured at The Editorial Department, which got me connected with Julie Miller who did a great job of editing my work. At least half of my earnings will be donated to the organizations that help our recovering veterans such as the Wounded Warrior Project.
- Will publish a novel, Lonely Hunter, Book 1 of the Darkness Descending series, in late 2015 (placeholder cover below). If you would like to read several excerpts, you can go here.
- Will publish a novel, Vicious Harvest, Book 2 of the Darkness Descending series, in 2016 (placeholder cover):
- Will publish a novel, The Finer Points of Time, Book 3 of the Darkness Descending series, in 2016.
- Will publish a novel, IrSaa Rising, Book 4 of the Darkness Descending series, in 2017 (placeholder cover):
A bit about me:
- Earned an MA in Creative Writing from the University of Kansas (studied under James Gunn)
- Fiction Editor for a campus Literature Magazine
- Twice a university newspaper columnist
- Published a short story and a number of articles and reviews in professional journals
- One of the most active critiquers at Critique Circle (online writing workshop)
- Presented “Creativity as a form of Problem Solving” at a writing conference sponsored by The University of Houston
- Studied business at the graduate school of business, University of Texas at Austin
- Marketing and Sales Executive, Hi-Tech industry
- Aspiring SEO “Expert” (in quotes because SEO is a constantly moving target)
- Infantry Officer, US Army, Retired
- Graduate of US Army Airborne and Ranger Schools
- Traveled extensively in Europe
- Lived in and traveled throughout Asia for two and a half years
- Happily married with four daughters
- Owner of a dog abandoned in Singapore and named after the street we lived on there
- Long distance road bike enthusiast (almost completed a double century — 200 miles — in one day…will try again)
- Along the way I’ve also shaved a pig, flown a plane, pushed my broken-down taxi through downtown Bombay in the middle of the night, thrown hay bails, stolen pineapples from a plantation in Hawaii when I was hungry, learned a little bit of Spanish, and wandered around the Acropolis. It’s a good life.
As mentioned, I’ve had the great fortune to take several classes from James Gunn, one of America’s most enduring science fiction writers. He is also one the most accomplished historians of Science Fiction. More than his accomplishments, he is a fascinating, thoughtful and caring man. When I was in graduate school at the University of Kansas, I would meet him in his office on occasion, which was always stacked high with books, and he would be hunched over his antiquated word processor banging out more words. He also came to our wedding. If you have never met him, here is a brief view of Gunn and his relentless focus on the future (and helping writers).
If you would like to be added to my email list please sign up below, or write me directly at TiffanyWritingBetter@gmail.com
Please use the buttons at the right or below to share with another writer. Thanks! Allen